Remembering the great guru Pandit Birju Maharaj : Debopama Sensharma

 





Debopama Sensharma



Spins and Sums

"A recurrent human mistake is disregarding what we get amidst the perpetual race for what we wish."

When an abundance of social media posts hit my screen on 16th January 2022, mourning the demise of eminent danseur Padma Bibhushan Pt. Birju Maharaj, I realized the truth of the above statement. As I was crying over some linear algebra not working the way I wanted it to, I remembered my first official steps into the world of dance were under his guidance.

Can you imagine how lucky that is?
"One must have first of all a strong foundation" -- Sri Aurobindo.

I have not pursued dance as a profession. But, whenever the dreary realm of research failures pushes me to the deepest, darkest corners, I take a hop and a step to a pirouette and freeze in a beautiful "sum" facing a mirror. While I bask in the freedom of movement, savor the peace that dancing brings me, and admire what I see -- it is this foundation that looks back and believes in me.

I believe that I will be blessed to deserve and achieve all I desire if I was blessed to be gifted my first "ta thei thei tat" by the one and only Maharaj ji.

After all these years, all I can do is be extremely grateful that he blessed me and taught me to hold my head high on stage. And in life.

P.S. I can never write about my Kathak training and not mention my Guruji, Late Pt. Arjun Mishra, an exemplary successor of Maharaj ji, both in blood and rhythm. If not for him, there would be nothing built atop the foundation.

P.P.S. "Sum" -- The point that joins the beginning to the end [acc. to Hindustani Taallipi].
Maharaj ji and Guruji, you did not leave; you reached the ultimate sum.